Life seems to be moving faster every day. Most of us feel that the lack of time is our biggest problem. Even if your life is jam-packed and moving at warp speed, here are a few tips to make life easier and to help you keep your home and family organized.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Tips to make life easier
1. Keep a canvas bag close to the door and train family members to deposit library books there for easy return. When it’s time for a trip to the library you won’t have to pull your hair out wondering where all the books got scattered to.
Need Help Getting Clutter Under Control?
Sign up for the 5-Day Clutter Challenge to have lessons delivered straight to your inbox. Your home can look better by the end of the week!
2. When you order something online, jot down the confirmation number, expected date of delivery, and any other reference information in your planner or digital calendar.
Related Post: 7 Reasons You Absolutely, Positively Must Get Organized
3. Use Cozi.com or another online service to send reminders to family members about birthdays, special occasions, etc. I like Cozi because it’s super simple. I also love that I can program in reminders for things so that I don’t have to be a nag. I’ve found that my kids (even though they’re young adults) are so much more receptive to a text reminding them that it’s their dad’s birthday than they are to hearing me actually tell them.
4. Create a command center in the kitchen or other designated place where family members will see it. Train everyone that this is the place to leave each other notes, to add items to the grocery list, check the calendar, etc.
Related Post: 4 Must Haves For Your Family Command Center
5. Life is easier when things are scheduled. Before you leave the dentist, doctor, or hair salon, go ahead and schedule your next appointment. Don’t forget to write it down or put it in your phone.
6. Your house also runs more smoothly when things are scheduled. i.e. “My laundry Monday”, “Towel Tuesday, “Sheets on Saturday”.
Related Post: 21 Quick Tips To Deal With The Stuff In Your Home
7. Menu planning is easier if you plan to have the same type of meat on a specific date each week. At our house it’s “chicken Monday”, “hamburger Tuesday”, etc.
8. Learn when the online grocery ads for your favorite stores come out. Make an appointment to check these ads on the first day of the sales week so you can schedule trips to stock up on bargains. However, keep your storage space in mind. It’s not a bargain if it ruins because you can’t find it when you need it or because it’s past its expiration date.
9. Use bins in your freezer to organize meats by type, veggies, etc. This makes it easier to put things up when you come in from the grocery store and also makes it easier to see what you’re getting low on.
10. Designate a special place or basket in your home for lost items to be deposited. This way everyone knows where to go look when something goes missing.
And if you need a way to simplify your digital life, check out Why You Need to Have an Email System For Your House. Sherry at Beautiful Southern Life has a great idea to help you stay on top of the priority emails that must be tended to regularly. I wish I’d thought of this system!