Looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner? Throw the ingredients for Chicken Frito Pie into your slow cooker and you’ve got a tasty meal with hardly any work at all on your part. Does it get any better than that?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I used to love football games in the fall because concession stands frequently had Frito Pie on the menu. Traditional Frito Pie, as it was served at football games, was simply heated chili that was spooned into a small bag of Fritos. The bag served as the serving dish and it was delicious on a cold night. And it was fun to eat out of the bag!
Grownup Frito Pie isn’t served out of a Frito bag (at least at my house!) but it’s still a favorite. I’d been thinking about way to tweak the recipe an decided that chicken and cheese would be just the ticket. I served it to Jungle Jim (who is the gourmet at my house) and he declared it a “keeper”. Hopefully your family will like it just as much as we did. The fact that it took me about 5 minutest to throw the ingredients in to cook, and then about 5 minutes to get it on the plate, means that I’ll definitely be serving it again.
Chicken Frito Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed)
- 2 ccans diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion (chopped or quartered)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- Fritos corn chips
- shredded cheese
- Put chicken, tomatoes and green chilies, garlic powder, and pepper into crock pot. Cook low 6-8 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, drain the clear juices out of the crock pot. Add green enchilada sauce and turn crock pot to high temperature just long enough to heat through.
- Serve chicken mixture over Frito corn chips. Top with shredded cheese. This is also good garnished with sour cream. Other garnish ideas would be salsa or avocados.
Do you have a “go to” recipe you like to make when your family is super busy? I’d love to know what it is. And if you like this recipe, I’d love for you to share it with your Facebook friends or on your Pinterest board.
Slow Cooker Accessories You May Find Helpful