Getting tired of shopping, planning, cleaning, and cooking? Perhaps it’s time for a little down time and fun. Kick back and enjoy some family togetherness with these 25 holiday movie suggestions.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. If you purchase a product through my link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
We’re huge movie fans at our house! At the end of the day, we find nothing more relaxing than popping a bowl of popcorn and curling up on the couch with a good movie. This time of year can not only get stressful, it’s a good time to kick back with your family and enjoy a movie that’s especially appropriate for this time of year. Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
25 Holiday Movies
- It’s A Wonderful Life – My all-time favorite Christmas movie! It’s hard to beat Jimmy Stewart
- Miracle on 34th Street – There have been updates, of course, but I happen to like the original.
- Home Alone – Personally, I can’t imagine forgetting one of my kids, but it’s still got a lot of laughs.
- Christmas Vacation– My favorite of the Vacation movies.
- A Christmas Story – I missed this when it first came out and didn’t see it until a couple of years ago. How did that happen??? But what kid hasn’t lobbied for the gift they’ve just gotta have?
- Elf – Sometimes Will Ferrell can get to be a little much for me, but this one is cute.
- The Santa Clause – If you like Tim Allen (which I do) you’ll enjoy this one, and it’s an interesting twist on how Santa continues.
- A Christmas Carol – there are many versions of this classic story with actors such as Jim Carrey, Patrick Stewart, and George C. Scott starring. There’s one that will fit every taste.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Anything with Dr. Seuss and Ron Howard is going to be good in my opinion. And Jim Carrey makes an excellent Grinch.
- Love Actually – Sometimes just a Christmas setting is all that’s needed.
- The Holiday – A romantic holiday and a Christmas setting – count me in.
- The Polar Express – You put Tom Hanks (or his voice) in any movie and it’s a winner.
- Scrooged – I like Bill Murray so naturally I enjoyed this one.
- Four Christmases – Sometimes it certainly feels like there are too many Christmases to attend!
- Holiday Inn – Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and the actual song “White Christmas” (I know, you’d think it would have been in the movie of the same name, right?)
- Christmas in Connecticut – Another Christmas classic, this one with Barbara Stanwyck. What’s a little harmless lie about your cooking skills at Christmas – when you’re a food writer who can’t cook?
- Prancer – This one stars Sam Elliott….be still my heart!
- The Family Man – This one takes a bit of a “It’s a Wonderful Life” twist when a man wakes up with a life he could have had.
- Meet Me in St. Louis – I actually haven’t seen this movie since I was a kid. But if you like Judy Garland and musicals it’s one to check out (and I need to check it out again!)
- Christmas With the Kranks – I loved the John Grisham novel that this movie is taken from.
- Deck the Halls – Who says Christmas competitions aren’t a thing?
- Unaccompanied Minors – I actually haven’t seen this one but it sounds like a hoot. Except for the poor soul who has to supervise the unaccompanied minors, that is.
- Jack Frost – I love Michael Keaton and this movie just makes you feel good all over.
Be sure to pin this for later because there’s bound to be something on this list that your family will enjoy. After all, the perfect holiday is all about relaxing and spending time with the ones you love. Do you have your popcorn bowls ready? What’s your favorite holiday movie?
- Gifts to Encourage Family Togetherness
- 14 Ideas to Bring Holiday Joy To Your Life
- 4 Reasons I Used to Hate Christmas