Just about every family I know has certain foods they serve during the holidays – it’s part of what makes the holidays special. But sometimes we’re looking for a new dish to add to our holiday repertoire. Whether you’re a new cook looking for a dish to take to the family gathering, or an experienced cook who just wants something different, here are some holiday recipes from a couple of the best cooks I know…and a few of my own thrown in as well.
61 Delicious Pumpkin Recipes is a collection of holiday recipes I pulled together last year from a variety of sites. They’re already split into different categories and you’re sure to find something your family will love on this list.
- Fireball Mexican Hot Chocolate – well, just some yum from Cathy.
- 11 Simple Christmas Cocktails from Angela at Pesto and Margaritas should have you covered in the adult beverage department. If these don’t lift your spirits, she’s got lots of other cocktail recipes to choose from so be sure to look around.
- Angela also tells you How to Pick Wine That Will Work With Christmas Lunch. Did I mention that her hubby is a professional chef? I didn’t….shame on me.
Appetizers and Snacks
- Delicious Marinated Shrimp Appetizers from Cathy at My Side of 50 would be a great way to start off your Christmas dinner.
- Grammy’s Banana Bread is the best banana bread recipe I’ve ever made. It’s my mother’s recipe and not only is is moist, it makes three loaves – which is great when you’re expecting guests.
- I serve a breakfast casserole every year on Christmas morning. Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Cilantro is one I played around with and modified from an existing recipe.
- This Salmon and Parma Ham with Basil Pesto Dressing would be a great alternative to the traditional turkey or ham. And Oh-My-Goodness…I seriously want Angela’s hubby to cook for me!
- We love ham and are always looking for recipes to use up the leftovers. This recipe for Penne Pasta with Ham & Peas is one of our favorites.
If I do say so myself, I’ve got some delicious cake recipes. They’re all from family members but they’re sure to become favorites at your house as well:
In order to keep your holiday foods tasting their best, here are a few of the appliances I use at holiday time:
My carry case is dark blue, but I use this Pyrex carrying case any time I need to take a dish somewhere. It comes with a hot/cold pack so you can feel confident that your dish will be just the right temperature.
I make no secret of the fact that I am in love with my slow cooker! I use mine every. single. week. This one has a locking lid which will keep you from having a catastrophe if you’re taking it somewhere. Definitely an addition that gives peace of mind.
Any time you’re hosting a large crowd, it seems like you never have enough room in the oven to keep everything warm till it’s time to serve. This extra large warming tray solves that problem. At 20×24, it’s got room to hold several large dishes so that everyone’s contribution to the dinner stays delicious until it’s time to dig in.
There’s something comforting about pulling out our favorite holiday recipes when it’s time to gather the family. Whether you’re making old favorites or trying some new ones that will become favorites, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season surrounded by the folks you love most.
Join the email list & get your FREE 4-week menu plan sent to your inbox!
Your 4-week menu plan comes with recipes ready to print out. All you need to do is create a shopping list based on your own supplies and then follow the directions. Easy peazy!