Is one of your goals to eat healthier? Sometimes it feels like a constant battle to not give in to temptation and eat one high calorie meal after another – they’re SO good! But eating meal after meal of boring salad begins to make us feel like rabbits – and we’re not fond of rabbit food. We like food that tastes good and this key lime shrimp salad is both healthy and tasty.
Jungle Jim is not a fan of most fish but he does like shrimp. A nearby grocery store frequently runs the one-pound bag of pre-cooked, frozen shrimp on sale for a good price. When they do, we stock up. But I am having to work to find quick and easy shrimp recipes (I only make quick and easy!).
This recipe was concocted one evening when I told Jungle Jim that we were going to have cooked shrimp on a lettuce bed for dinner. As is typical for him, he wanted to have his hand in the creation of the recipe. When he experiments in the kitchen, it’s always a good result.
This salad with shrimp, guacamole, and spices is anything BUT boring. You won’t feel deprived and you definitely won’t feel like you need to change your name to Bugs Bunny.
Recipe for Key Lime Shrimp Salad
Key Lime Shrimp Salad
- 1 pound shrimp pre-cooked and tailed pulled
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes diced
- 6 small avocados very ripe, scooped, and seeded
- 4 large cloves garlic minced to make 1 1/2 t.
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 8 small key limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/8 teaaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons cliantro minced. Dried cilantro is fine but fresh is better
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
To make guacamole: Dice tomato, 1/2 onion, and garlic to mix with avocados. Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix. Add 1/2 of the cilantro and the juice of 3 key limes.
Shrimp Mixture: Coat Fry pan with oil and heat.
Add onion and minced garlic and saute.
Add cilantro, then shrimp, chipotle, cumin, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon onion powder. Saute all together. Add the juice of 5 key limes.
Cook til sauce is thickened - less than 5 minutes.
Mix salad together: Lettuce bed topped with guacamole and shrimp mixture. Eat right away.
- Shrimp with Garlic & Cilantro: Super Duper Easy!
- Fruit Salad Lunch: Low Weight Watcher’s Points
- Jungle Jim’s Shrimp Salad