You might think that fiction is simply a source of entertainment and that its only value is in providing an escape from real life. But you’d be wrong. While television, movies, and books DO provide those things, you might be surprised at the life lessons you can learn in even the most unexpected places.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. If you purchase a product through my link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Yes, we’re total nerds at my house. We love books, movies, and the certainty that there is more to learn than we will ever know. And when it comes to the Star Trek versus Star Wars debate we know without a doubt where we fall – we’re hardcore Trekkies. But even though the whole concept may be rooted in fiction, there are lessons to learn. Here are just a few life lessons I’ve learned from my favorite Star Trek episodes and movies.
- Keep your mind open to new possibilities.
- Reserve judgment till you have all the facts.
- Be open-minded about those who are different from you.
- Be willing to change course as facts and situation dictate.
- Diversity is a strength and we all have something to add.
- You never know just what you’re capable of until you’re out of options.
- In all things, “Make it so.”
- Even the best captain needs an awesome “Number One” he/she can count on.
- The best leader consults the expertise of others, evaluates the data, and forms a logical conclusion.
- The best leader also knows when to throw logic out the window and trust gut instinct.
- Always have a backup plan.
- Being afraid of everything means you learn nothing.
- The universe is a vast, beautiful, and wonderful place and we don’t know it all.
- Never stop learning and exploring. It will keep you young.
- Former enemies can become allies and even friends when they share a common goal.
- The willingness to be creative makes the journey more interesting.
- One of the kindest things we can wish for anyone is that they “live long and prosper.”
- Your past may have shaped who you are now but your actions shape who you will become in the future.
- The journey should be as thrilling as the destination.
- A crew of loyal friends and/or family can help you survive any trial and hardship.
- Following orders isn’t always the best course of action.
So what’s your favorite movie or television show and what lessons have you learned from it? And if you happen to be a Trekkie then who’s your favorite captain?
Those of us who are hard core Trekkies most likely already have the following items in our collections. But for those of you who don’t, here are the collections that will allow you to experience the fun and to “go where no one has gone before.”