You’ve sent your child off to college and are dismayed to learn that they’re struggling more than either of you expected. College, while an adventure and a time of discovery, is also a time that can provoke anxiety and frustration. Here are some gifts to help your stressed-out college student feel calmer, more relaxed, and more in control.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Even kids who are coping well will feel stress during their college years. It’s natural and unavoidable. The nice thing about each of these gift ideas is that they’ll be appreciated even after the college years are done. And who among us couldn’t use a little calm….or a little fun….at any point in our lives?
Physical and Mental Stress Relief Gift Ideas
- I’ve been hearing great things about the weighted blanket and how it helps people who struggle with anxiety, insomnia, stress, and ADHD. Apparently the weight of the blanket provides the sensation of being held which provides comfort.
- Have you ever noticed how your teenager seems almost addicted to hoodies and big sweatshirts? Perhaps they even like to pull them down over their knees while they curl up. This big blanket sweatshirt is made for just that. Called “The Comfy” it’s oversized so that you can curl up inside it. This makes it great for cold dorm rooms or apartments, and it contributes to that snuggly feeling that just feels good. It comes in a variety of colors to please your college student.
- Aromatherapy and essential oils can help with lots of issues including stomach trouble to sleep problems. This essential oil diffuser is the one I gave my daughter and it’s also the one sitting on my desk. I like the automatic shut off function and my daughter likes the changing mood lights although you don’t have to turn the light function on if you don’t want it. You can control the light function so that it slowly changes colors or remains a steady low light which lets this stress relief gift do double time as a night light.
- I started my daughter out with this set of essential oils because it included peppermint (which is good for tummy issues) and lavender (which is calming and helps with sleep). I find that a couple of drops of the orange and a drop of the peppermint is good when I need to be particularly focused – and it smells great.
Related Post: Awesome Gift Ideas For College Students
I also bought my daughter and I both a diffuser necklace and bracelet. This allows us to get the benefit of the oils even when we’re on the go. We’re both jewelry lovers and there are lots of choices. You can click on any of the items below and you’ll find something to suit any style preference.
College dorms and apartments aren’t always the quietest places and this can make it hard to sleep. A white noise machine helps cover random noises and can help provide a better night of sleep – and it’s easier to cope with stress when you’re well rested.
Stress Relief Toys
No one said that stress relief has to always be super serious. In fact, your college student can relieve a little stress while also having some fun with these toys.
- This desk sculpture allows you to move the balls around to create whatever design you like.
- This Newton’s Cradle Pendulum Balls can be mesmerizing! I’ve had a set that I kept in my classroom and kids of all ages love it (and so did their sometimes stressed out teacher). This is one toy that lets you zen out while watching.
- The fidget cube lets you do just that…fidget. It’s pocket sized so it can be thrown in a backpack and pulled out whenever stress can be felt taking over.
- These squeezing stress balls give your stressed out college student a physical way to get some of that stress out.
We can help our kids survive the ups and downs of the college years. In fact, as parents, it’s our job to help them navigate those stressful situations that they encounter. Gifts that help them deal with stress will make them happier and healthier!
Related Post: Great Gifts For The Whole Family