Whether your mom is as close as the next room or far away, it’s never too soon to start thinking about ways to express your love for her that won’t drain your wallet.
Tried and true gifts moms love
Some gifts never go out of style.
- dinner out
- breakfast in bed (remember this includes cleaning up!)
But there are other ways that don’t cost a fortune that Mom will appreciate as well as the old standard gifts (not that she doesn’t love those!).
Frugal but fabulous ideas for mom
- A pretty frame to display the latest drawing or art creation. This will allow her to rotate the many beautiful items created by her children without getting them ruined or rumpled.
- A scented candle with her favorite scent. A size that fits on the rim of the bathtub will create a relaxing atmosphere when she gets to enjoy a bubble bath.
- Bath products are great because she doesn’t have to dust them! An energizing scent for the morning shower or a relaxing fragrance for an evening bath may be just the thing to help Mom feel pampered and turn routine bathing into a spa-like experience. If you don’t know what she likes, plan a trip to Bath and Body Works sometime and take notes – you’ll end up with gift ideas for every occasion.
- Perhaps her favorite author has a new book out. Surprise her with a paperback book, an IOU for an ebook, or a gift card to your local bookstore so she can browse and select something fun. Even some quiet time for browsing can be a treat when she doesn’t have to watch kids at the same time.
Free and coveted gifts all moms will enjoy
- An acrostic poem spelling out the name(s) of her kids.
- Do a chore that she often doesn’t have time to do herself – perhaps washing and cleaning out her car would do the trick. Don’t forget to put in a new air freshener. You’ll score even more points if you round up some loose change to put in the console for emergencies.
- A recording of the children singing (as the kids get older this will be even more precious to her).
- A video or sound recording of family members talking about some of their favorite family memories
- Create a play list for her music device. If she doesn’t have a music device, this might be the time to get her one and give it to her with some of her favorite music already loaded on to it.
- Create a Top 10 list of why she’s the best mom ever!
- A homemade coupon books that she can redeem later to get various chores done. Who wouldn’t appreciate knowing that they can cash in a coupon to get the trash carried out with no complaints or getting someone else to unload the dishwasher? None of these gifts cost any money but they give Mom some needed help when she needs or wants it most.
- Write or record a letter telling how much she means to you. There isn’t a mom around who won’t love and treasure this one!
Mother’s Day doesn’t have to mean an expensive elaborate gift. The best gifts are those that show we are loved and that come from the heart. A little planning, time, and attention to what will make the special mom in your mom feel loved is all it takes.
It’s also important to show Dad some love on his special day.