Do you ever get annoyed this time of year because everyone is just so….happy?
You know you’re supposed to feel that way too, and yet you don’t always. Instead, you’re barely managing to put on your happy face and pretend that you’re enjoying it all.
For many, the holidays are truly the most wonderful time of the year. For others, they’re just something to get through. For a myriad of reasons, the holidays aren’t always sugar and snowmen. Sometimes it’s just suffer and try to contain your inner Scrooge.
Do you suffer from Scrooge Syndrome?
How many of these can you answer YES to?
- Do you get nauseous when you hear Christmas carols? You can’t enter a public place without hearing someone singing about sleigh rides or chestnuts. What’s a chestnut anyway?
- Does the sight of a snowman make you break out in hives? They may look all cute and innocent, but they’re really like clowns – or Chucky dolls.
- Do you have an inexplicable desire to rip the November and December pages right out of your calendar? If only that would work!
- Do you go out of your way to avoid stores that have those annoying Santa Claus bell-ringers in front of them?
- Do you refuse to step foot into a store from November 15 through January 15? Who needs the crowds when you can shop from home to get anything you really need.
- Do you hate snow? (and songs about snow….and people who like snow) Are you wondering where your flip-flops and when can you wear them again?
- Does having someone wish you a Merry Christmas or telling you to have a Happy Holiday make you want to tell them to bug off? After all, what right do they have to tell you whether you should be merry or happy?
- Do you think that holiday movies were made for hapless saps? I mean, come on, they’re so corny!
- Do you hate turkey, pumpkin pie, cranberries, and anything made with (gasp!)….Jello? Do you find yourself searching through the junk drawer for the menu and number of the Chinese delivery place?
- Is the only good thing about eggnog the rum? Is this a time of year when you find you need even more rum than usual?
- Are you allergic to mistletoe? Do you just want to slap anyone who actually tries to use that silly old story to get you to pucker up?
I won’t ask you to share how many questions you answered YES to. By this time you already know if you’re suffering from Scrooge Syndrome or not. It can sneak up on anyone at any time. The only question is…what are you going to do about it?
Often Scrooge Syndrome is the result of too many worries and obligations and not enough fun or relaxation during this time of year. I’ve got a quick list with ideas for holiday fun that I’d love to send you. Maybe it’ll help ease the symptoms of Scrooge Syndrome so that you can get more enjoyment from the season.